Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Labor and Delivery Visit

(Note: I started writing this post Monday night and couldn't finished it up until Tuesday morning per the request of my nurses!)

I started out writing a very detailed post about what happened today, but that was exhausting, so I'm just going to do a shorter recap.

It all started this morning at our 24 week doctor's appointment. We were thinking it was going to be an in-and-out visit just to check my blood pressure, weight, urine and heartbeat. How wrong we were! My blood pressure was really high and scary words like labor, delivery and pre-eclampsia were spoken. They took my blood pressure for a second time to see if it had gone down any. It hadn't, so down we went to the labor and delivery unit of our hospital (our doctor's office is just a few floors above L&D).

I kid you not, Ant and I discussed last night when we should take our hospital tour. Obviously we didn't think we'd be getting an impromptu tour less than 24 hours later. I basically lost it on the walk down. we saw a baby in the NICU which made the reality of the situation really hit home. I managed to pull it together and was put in a delivery room where I had to be hooked up to the fetal monitors. Since little man is still so small they were having a heck of a time monitoring him! It was pretty comical actually since he kept moving away from the Doppler hooked up to my belly.

All hooked up!

I was then hooked up to a blood pressure monitor that took my blood pressure automatically every 15 minutes. I also got my blood drawn and started a 24-hour urinalysis. Then after what was literally hours I met with a high risk OB. He basically said everything that my regular OB told me earlier.

They can't really determine if I have pre-E yet or not. But, they were pretty confident I at least don't have a severe case of it. Pre-E is a scary condition that affects pregnant women, and the only real cure is delivery. As you guys know, my pregnancy is viable at this point, but I of course don't want my son to make his appearance any time soon! So the fact that I at least don't have a severe case (yet) is a good thing. However, based on what they know and have seen throughout my pregnancy, it's more likely that I have had chronic hypertension for a while and didn't know it.

In my situation, chronic hypertension is what we're hoping the urinalysis shows tomorrow. It is treatable with blood pressure medication and would allow me to continue my pregnancy longer than with pre-E. My regular OB came and visited me after I ate dinner tonight and said that I am now considered "high risk" and that she most likely won't let me go to my due date and will induce me around 38 or 39 weeks if I don't go in to labor on my own by then.

My yummy hospital dinner! Fortunately it wasn't too bad!

After dinner they moved me to a postpartum room, where I now have a more comfortable bed and don't have to be hooked up to the fetal monitors anymore. Ant and my dad's family came and visited me for a bit at the hospital. It was nice to see some familiar faces after being alone most of the day.

Ant and I playing UNO!

So, here I am sitting alone in my hospital room at 11pm. I am continuing to have my blood pressure monitored every hour or two.

Okay, it's now nearly 7am. I was confined to laying on my left side for the remainder of last night to try and control my blood pressure, so I was unable to finish this post. 

 As of this morning my blood pressure is still all over the place. I think the last time they took it the reading was 166/80, something like that. They'd like to see it at 140/90 or lower. I was also hooked back up to the fetal monitors this morning and we were able to get some pretty decent readings on little man which was good. He's been very active today!

Oh, and I didn't even mention that I'm on modified bed rest for the time being. Since I don't work I won't have to change my routine too much but long shopping trips or any type of extended activity (including the Wii!) are off limits right now. It sucks, but whatever I need to do to keep my baby healthy and gestating for as long as possible!

Alright, time to order breakfast! Hopefully I'll be discharged today but I won't know anything until at least noon.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers!


  1. lindsey! I will definitely keep you in my thoughts!! You need to get some good books to keep you busy! I know I'm a world away but if you need anything please let me know!!


  2. Praying for you and your little man! Hopefully, you can go home soon. At least there's something you can do (lots of rest!) to help the situation. Gotta find some fun movies to watch and books to read! Keep us updated :)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...